BAT Theater – which recently turned 41, “considers her midlife crisis and thinks it’s time to get back to basics.”
No, it won’t be about buying a brand new red Tesla Roadster. Instead, BAT’s board of directors recently met to revamp the association’s mission, vision and value statements.
“It might sound easy, but it’s a lot of work,” said Creative Director Eric Dickman. “After public comment in January, assistance from a consultant and 14 drafts, the new BAT guidelines were recently adopted.
“These tell the world who BAT is, the direction we plan to go and what guides BAT on this journey. Wherever BAT finds a new home, BAT will bring that energy to make that home an amazing place for everyone.
“BAT is very happy to share with you the new mission, vision and values of BAT! “
We welcome and embrace our common humanity through live theater. We challenge standards and thrive because of our diversity and strong commitment to excellence.
BAT’S VISION FOR THE FUTURE
Looking to our future, we see …
- BAT brings people together to explore hopes, dreams and experiences to build understanding.
- BAT intentionally targets LGBTQIA + and BIPOC communities, people with disabilities and people with limited incomes.
- BAT offers a welcoming home for actors, playwrights and production staff – inviting creativity, risk taking and stimulating ideas.
- BAT reaches out to diverse communities, creating opportunities to connect indoors, outdoors and online.
- BAT is committed to advancing the arts by partnering with students and educators in our communities.
- BAT’s performance space is versatile – a creative and exciting gathering place for all.
- BAT is financially secure, compensates staff fairly, manages its facilities and productions, and maintains professional business operations.
- BAT continues its history of audience growth and is a sustainable organization.
- Use respect for all as a guiding principle in everything we do
- Promote diversity, inclusiveness and equity
- Collaborate with various arts organizations, businesses and educational programs
- Create and support sustainable growth for theater and our communities
- Inspire and encourage artists
- Be avant-garde – boldly challenge tradition
- Demonstrate ingenuity, adaptability and innovation in the pursuit of success